Why You Need to Repair a Cracked Windshield ASAP

It might start with just a chip or a crack on the windshield out of the driver’s view. But it is imperative to repair cracks or chips. Never take damage lightly as it can blow up into a safety issue with high risk of accidents.

Why Windshield Cracks Occur

• Driving on bumpy roads
  • Dramatic changes in the temperature
  • Sudden shocks and road irregularities
  • A pebble, rock or debris flung by passing vehicles striking your vehicle’s windshield
  • Traveling at higher speeds on the highway daily leading to wear and tear
  • Removing ice and frost in the cold weather – ice scrapers can damage your windshield or aggravate existing chips and cracks

Why You Must Repair Cracks

A windshield is not just the screen through which you see the road ahead. It provides structural support to the roof of the vehicle as well. A damaged windshield can result in the roof collapsing. Also, if the vehicle is involved in a collision, the chipped windshield runs the risk of popping out.

It is a structural and toughened cover that protects the occupants of the vehicle in a collision. A chipped or weakened windshield would end up causing more damage in an accident.

Older cars had thicker A-pillars (the frame of the car that runs from the side of the windshield to the back of the car) and windshields were part of the structural protection. But nowadays, modern auto design has banked on thinner A-pillars and placed more responsibility on the windshield to ensure safety. Hence, a cracked windshield is a high risk issue.

Weather and even windshield wipers can force dirt into the chip. Hence, the repair within a few days after the damage occurs. If left unattended, a chip will often burst into a pattern of tiny cracks, or even grow into one long crack.

Repair Cracks or Replace Windshield

It is not necessary to go in for windshield replacement every time. Many smaller chips are easily fixable by a reputable auto glass repair expert.

Windshield repair is a less costly, but effective alternative to windshield replacement, that extends the useful life of and restores beauty to many damaged windshields. And a repaired windshield is “green” because it doesn’t end up in a landfill!

GoGlass offers high-quality windshield repairs that conform to the industry standard, Repair of Laminated Automotive Glass Standard (ROLAGS) which is administered by the National Windshield Repair Association. ROLAGS defines what types of damage can be repaired and the process for completing a repair.

Find out more about the types of windshield damage that can be repaired to meet our quality standards.

10 thoughts on “Why You Need to Repair a Cracked Windshield ASAP

1. Steele Honda says:

I had no idea that if weather and even windshield wipers force dirt into the chip, it may result in a long crack on the glass which will be impossible to repair! In fact, I have one small crack on my windshield, and now I understand that I need to have it repaired now and not wait till I have to replace the entire glass. I hope this will make the glass serve longer.

2. Deb Pearl says:

I have a small crack in my windshield and I noticed that last week it got a little bigger. I was wondering how it could have gotten bigger. That is good to know that it could have been caused by just driving on bumpy roads! I should probably get it fixed soon before it gets worse! Thank you for the information!

3. Braden Bills says:

My windshield got a crack in it, and I’m not sure what I should do about it. I didn’t know that it could break if I’m not careful! I’ll be sure to get it to a professional and see if I can get it repaired, or if I’ll have to have it replaced.

4. Braden Bills says:

My windshield got cracked when I was driving on the freeway. It makes sense that I would want to get a professional to fix it! That way I can ensure that the crack doesn’t spread in the future.

5. Oscar O'Malley says:

I had no idea that modern cars have thinner A-pillars, and rely on windshields more for support. I have a small crack in the corner of my windshield from a rock that hit it on the freeway and haven’t done anything about it yet. I’ll be sure to get it taken care of as soon as possible to prevent any potentially bigger issues from happening.

6. Kayla says:

I didn’t know that sudden shocks and road irregularities can chip and crack a windshield. My sister chipped her windshield because she ran into a tree last night. My dad suggested going to glass repair to have it fixed and shared this article with her. It says that windshield repair is a less costly but effective alternative to windshield replacement.

7. Taylor Bishop says:

I just wanted to thank you for explaining the importance of quickly repairing a cracked windshield. I had no idea that a chip in it could cause a lot more damage in the case of an accident. It sounds important to continually check the condition of the windshield, just so that you can get any small problems treated quickly.

8. Elsa Anderson says:

I do like how you mentioned that there is a high possibility of the car’s roof to collapse as the windshield provides structural support for it. That is an advice I will be sure to heed since I would hate to have my car’s roof give up on me. Being able to have our windshield repaired as soon as possible will be essential for me. Thanks!

9. Hector Uba says:

It’s great that you elaborated on why you need to repair windshield cracks as soon as you can. I had no idea that a cracked windshield could be so detrimental to the structure of the vehicle. I would imagine that getting a professional to help repair a window can help with the structural integrity.

10. Ridley Fitzgerald says:

I can see why getting our windshield replaced or repaired quickly is a good idea. It’s bad to think that a damaged windshield could lead to a collapsed roof! We’ve got a few small chips in our car’s windshield, so I’ll get that sorted out soon.